About British Marine
British Marine is the trade association for the leisure, superyacht and small commercial marine industry.
British Marine staff are the executive team behind Superyacht UK
This is just some of the work that the team at Marine House undertakes on behalf of the Association.
On behalf of SYUK, we;
• Monitor and respond to any legislation that may affect the superyacht sector in the UK
• Investigate & resolve any issues which disadvantage the UK superyacht sector – e.g. NZ tax regime
• Promote the value of the UK superyacht sector during Westminster briefings – Ministers/MPs’/Senior civil servants.
• Organise ministerial/MP visits to member businesses – current work includes inviting the BIS Minister to visit key UK yards
International Development Team
International is involved heavily in SYUK activities and acts as a focal point for most superyacht related enquiries.
• The Team organises the UK pavilions at the key industry shows of Monaco, METS and organise shared showcase stands at other shows like Dusseldorf, Miami and SMM Hamburg which also attract a lot of large yacht industry visitors. This show experience gives the Team up to date contacts and information on the shows, always a popular request from members.
• Events like the Superyacht UK Tour of Excellence are organised by the team connecting approx 20 overseas industry professionals with 50-60 member companies. According to many previous participants they have been a great source of enduring business relationships
• Market reports are available from the Team on a number of different countries – the 2012 China report reportedly saved a member two weeks of travelling and several thousand pounds.
• Signposting for members includes a wide range of services – connecting them with possible funding providers, UK and overseas industry contacts, overseas industry associations. Recent advice has included – markets to target, freight advice and contacts, ideas on who to talk to (inc the contact details), “I’m thinking of exhibiting at Monaco – what do you think?”
The Legal Team
The British Marine Legal Team acts as support and advisers to the organisation internally, while also providing a range of support services to all BMF members.
• In addition to providing governance support to British Marine itself, the Legal Team provides support to the Superyacht UK secretary in relation to governance e.g. voting procedures at the AGM, terms of office, constitutional changes
• The 24/7 Legal Helpline is where SYUK members can obtain general legal advice, such as on employment law, contracts, debt recovery etc. Alongside the provision of this advice there is an online manual which provides a wide range of template business agreements and guidance as to their use e.g. agency and distribution. Many members use these documents regularly and save considerable amounts in legal fees as a result. There is a separate helpline for members in Scotland or for anyone who is doing business there, if subject to Scots law. As with other British Marine Members, SYUK members have been regular users of this service and have saved considerable time and money as a result.
• In addition to the 24/7 Legal Helpline there is also access for SYUK members to a telephone consultation with a specialist marine lawyer, with the ability to chose an adviser in a locality to suit the member. The British Marine Legal Team is very grateful to the British Marine member legal firms, including those from SYUK who offer this service free of charge to fellow members.
• A suite of standard contracts is available to SYUK members on the British Marine website specifically relating to doing business in the marine industry, with guidance notes as to their use and also guidance notes on other topics e.g. Bribery Act 2010
• British Marine retains a VAT adviser for the benefit of members, given the complex nature of VAT issues; getting some insight has proved an extremely valuable for SYUK members.
• The Legal Team at British Marine is the contact point for consumers who complain that their dealings with a British Marine member have not been conducted in accordance with the standards provided for in the British Marine Code of Practice. Should an issue arise for a SYUK member the Legal team can provide valuable support.
• The British Marine Legal Team is often the first point of contact for members where the nature of their query is complex; we are always happy to help where we can and to involve, or refer on, to other specialist colleagues.
To find out more visit the British Marine Website >
British Marine is a company limited by guarantee. (Company No. 02592536) Its principal trading activity is promoting the boating industry and the organisation and promotion of exhibitions. The Federation is funded from member subscriptions and from its Exhibitions >